A Rhône River cruise incorporates the gastronomy of Burgundy and Lyon, the Roman ruins of Vienne and Arles, the magnificent historic papal city of Avignon and the modern-day cowboys in Camargue.
The Rhône River is one of the most significant waterways of Europe; it is the only major river flowing into the Mediterranean and is thoroughly alpine in its characteristics.
Rhône cruises offer the perfect blend of scenery, from its surrounding towns and cities steeped in history, with lost in time castles and churches, to the scenic stretches of vineyards and fruit orchards which dot the length of the river and take quiet pride in their produce; for which this region is so well-known for.
You will be treated to the charming sights of terracotta-roofed houses from the sleepy hillside villages that nestle along the banks of the river and should prepare to be amazed by the sweeping reams of picturesque purple – as your senses feast upon the illustrious, aromatic fields of lavender.
Things to do in the Rhone
- Explore the quaint town of Chalon sur Saone
- Visit the Basilica of Notre Dame in Lyon
- Visit Vienne, a beautiful town with an ancient Roman past
- Taste some famous regional red wines in Touron
- Explore the impressive Roman ruins in Arles
- Walk the Place de l’Horloge in Avignon
Did you know?
The River Rhone is the only major river that flows directly into the Mediterranean